I was here over the weekend.
But most of all, I was here:
TBEX Europe ’10: the European chapter of this year’s Travel Bloggers’ Exchange conference. My first time in Scandinavia to boot. So pretty. So pretty, so cool, and so clean. Four and a half days of networking, workshops, panels, talks from notables in the industry, omg i love your blog you look just like your avatar! and – whee! – hangovers. Writers like to party – who knew? Madness. Glee.
A big topic at TBEX: SEO. A.K.A. Blogger Creativity Death. That scourge of the industry which none of us can avoid. Top Ten lists laden with Google-friendly keywords get hits; Top Ten lists are what sell. So much for your narratives, your purple prose. I think I get the idea. Here, some TBEX Top lists of my own:
Top Ten Questions Heard at TBEX
- What’s your name?
- What’s the name you write under?
- Who do you write for?
- Where are you from?
- Where are you based?
- Where are you staying?
- When are you leaving?
- Do you have a business card*?
- Which workshop are you going to?
- Are you going to the thing with the free alcohol later**?
Top Ten I Eat My Pigeon at TBEX Fails
- I didn’t have business cards of my own because mine didn’t come in on time.
- Seriously, they were going to be so cute.
- Darn you, moo.com.
- Worst. Hostel. Ever.
- Slammed my finger in a door on the first day.
- Lost my hat and scarf while in a drunken stupor
- The Little Mermaid statue is in China for the Shanghai Expo
- Beth Whitman, Sally, Nick Rowlands, Mike Sowden, and my co-workers at tripwolf weren’t there.
- Brought the wrong shoes; was in constant pain
- Did I mention that my business cards didn’t come in on time?
Top Ten Things I
Drank and Ate in Copenhagen
- Fisk Danish liqueur. Two shots. Not cold anymore.
That’s SEO, right? RIGHT?
In sum: Explored a new city, met lots of fun people and learned loads but by far, the best thing was feeling like part of a community – which goes a long way for a writer who yearns to feel “legit.” Thank you, TBEX community, for giving this hungry gal a big fat slice of cake.