Stats taken during the 4-kyuu exam, as collected during sweeping surveys of room 404:
- 3 test segments
- 104 questions
- 40 test takers
- 17 Caucasians
- 4 annoying college girls who giggled and bragged about answers they got right in between exam segments
- 13 moments of panic
- 6 moments of insecurity
- 30 potential test-taking minutes wasted by proctors who chose to stand at the front of the room at the official beginning of test segments looking menacing but doing nothing
- 2 University employees milling around the campus grounds carrying cardboard signs that read: “Quiet, please!”
- 25 cravings for baked goods (specifically, Beard Papa cream puffs)
- 4 fashion tops adorned with floppy Reagan-era-style bows at the neck so currently popular among the ladies in Japan ….
A glance down.
- 5 fashion tops with floppy Reagan-era style bows at the neck so currently popular …
A thought while waiting for Bob and Sean to emerge from the throngs of relieved or stricken test-takers filing out of the lengthier, far more difficult 2-kyuu exam:The apparition of gaijin faces in a Japanese crowd; Petals on a wet, black bough.